How to Straighten Naturally Curly Hair
Hair Cleansing & Conditioning Routine:
- Wash hair with EO Rose and Chamomile Shampoo and rinse.
- Wash hair a second time (just focusing on the scalp to remove all dirt and build-up) with Shea Radiance Herbal Shampoo. I really like this natural shampoo because it has tea tree, rosemary and peppermint oils in it.
- Condition hair with Acure Organics Lemongrass Conditioner.
- Gently comb conditioner through hair with a wide-toothed comb until all tangles are out. Let sit for at least a minute, then rinse and wring out hair.
- Wrap a large t-shirt (in place of a towel), turban style, to wick away moisture and soak up the wetness. Leave hair wrapped for about 5 minutes. Result is lovely hair with no frizz or dripping.
How to Straighten Naturally Curly Hair:
- Remove t-shirt from damp curly hair.
- Part naturally curly hair from top of ear to ear (doesn’t have to be perfect as this is just to apply product) and clip on top of head.
- Take back section and divide in half clipping middle section on top of head.
- Spray back section of naturally curly hair hair with Shea Radiance Hair Milk and comb through.
- Then spray back section of hair with Shea Radiance Thermal Hair Smoothie and comb through.
- Divide back section of naturally curly hair in half and then round brush hair dry and straight.
- Repeat the steps of applying the Hair Milk and Thermal Smoothie to sections of hair and round brushing hair dry until full head of hair is done.
- Once naturally curly hair is fully blown dry and straight (usually takes me about 20-30 minutes), apply a small pea-size amount of Shea Radiance Revitalizing Oil to ends of hair and then smooth hands over rest of hair.
- Lastly, working from the back of the head to the top, flat iron small sections of the hair until all of hair is smooth, straight and frizz-free (usually takes me about 20 min).
My straight hair will last a full week with the process without ever having to use the flat iron for touch-ups (with sunny skies and no humidity of course) if I sleep in a satin cap at night or wrap hair with a satin scarf. I’ve tried both and prefer the satin cap as it allows for my straight hair to have a little more body. For maintenance with keeping my hair soft, moisturized and shiny, I apply a pea-size amount of Shea Radiance Revitalizing Oil to hair both in the mornings and evenings before bed as well as a little to the scalp throughout the week.
Also, note that all of these products can be used on naturally straight hair as well. The Thermal Smoothie is a must-have natural hair protective spray from the heat.